Florida Retirement System (FRS): Health Insurance Subsidy (HIS)
Here are some bullet points about the Health Insurance Subsidy provided by the Florida Retirement System:
- You earn $5 per month for every year of service with the FRS
- Years in DROP do not count towards your Health Insurance Subsidy
- You’re capped at $150. So any years of service over 30 do not add to your HIS.
- The HIS can be applied to any insurance, not just the insurance that your employer offers (Medicare, Tricare, Marketplace, Spouses Insurance, etc.)
- The HIS is not guaranteed. Currently everyone has it, but it is a benefit that can be regulated away even if you’ve already retired.
- You get it after you exit DROP – Not during